Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Auto Industy and The Future

               Driving a car is something as a young adult you can not wait to do. To have the freedom and the ability to go places. Along with it comes a huge responsibility. You have to learn how to drive and need to do it with some sense of ability to get a driver's license. Then you have to re-take a test every couple of years to make sure you are still capable of driving and following the rules and laws.
               It was to me a right of passage, and a bit scary. I certainly did not want to hurt anyone or wreck any cars. I was taught how to drive defensively, to pay close attention to the road , everyone and everything around me.  Anticipating what someone else might do, with experience it became easy to do. Is that lady, talking to the passenger in the car, noticing that she is coming into my lane? Where am I going to go? Is the lane next to me open so I can move over in case she comes this way? My attention had to be 100% on the driving. Yeah, at times I was changing the radio station or drinking a soda, but I stayed focused. My eyes were still on the road, out of fear of the inevitable.
               Things have changed over the last few decades. A LOT. It seems as if drivers are doing more than driving. You know the story. Talking on the phone, texting, dealing with Cd's,DVDS, PDAs, eating and drinking, kids,and schedules ( are you late?). Those are some of  the distractions. We won't even mention how they are driving.  No wonder the auto industry and scientist have and are still developing newer and better Intelligent Vehicles(IV). We have vehicles that can talk to you and, at times, simply drive for you. From ABS brake systems,air bags, suspension system adjustments, notifying you of lane drifting, parallel parking your car for you, rear view cameras, to electric cars, On Star and the list goes on.....  It is wonderful! There have been innumerable lives saved, because of the technology that has been introduced into the auto industry. 
             We have so many vehicles on the roads today,and roadways are congested.  Commutes to and from have gotten longer and longer. Finding ourselves away from home for much longer periods of time. I know we feel that we have to do so much while we are in our vehicles.

   It won't be long, until we will all just be co-pilots.
 Until that comes about,
Do we still know how to drive defensively?
                                     Hey, Jetson's! Here we come!

Keep it between the lines.
Happy Motoring.
Want to know about the technology that GM is developing?http://www.gm.com/design-technology

Want to know more about the New 2012 Buick Verano coming to Biggs Cadillac Buick GMC this Fall?

1 comment:

X2 said...

I was thinking that technology is to blamed because of what people are doing now. I am not against it, but let I know that there is a time and place for everything for you to do.

Cadillac Factory Air Ride